Home School Laws in Alabama

In the state of Alabama, you have three options to legally home school.

Enroll in a church school – You, or the administrator, submit a one-time Church School Enrollment Form to the county school superintendent.  The parent maintains an attendance register.  The church school may have additional requirements for membership.

• Attend a private school (the parent may establish a private school in the home or function as an extension of a private school) – You must register annually with the Alabama Department of Education, “giving such statistics as relate to the number of pupils, the number of instructors, enrollment, attendance, course of study, length of term, cost of tuition, funds, value of property, and the general condition of the school.”  You must furnish all reports that may be required by the State Superintendent of Education and by the county superintendent of education or by the city board of education with reference to the school attendance laws. You must keep an attendance register and present a certificate of immunization or a notice of religious or medical exemption to the state. You must carry out a system of physical education which conforms to the program or course outlined by the Department of Education.

Hire a private tutor – The tutor must be a state-certified teacher and offer instruction “in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools…, between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M., and who uses the English language in giving instruction.”  The private tutor must file with the county superintendent, a statement showing the child or children to be instructed, the subjects taught, and period of instruction. The tutor must keep a register of the child’s work showing daily hours of instruction and attendance and shall make such reports as the State Board of Education may require.

Additional links to AL Homeschool Law: South Alabama Homeschooling

*Please see the HSLDA website, or contact HSLDA, for additional information on this topic.